Social Advertising Best Practices
Create thumb-stopping ads with these best practices for Facebook & Instagram ad media.
The Basics of Media for Facebook & Instagram
Media is the visual portion of an ad. Of all the campaign’s components, Media will always take up the most space. Media is displayed as one of three formats.
Resolution: 1,080 x 1,080 px
Aspect Ratio: 1:1 to 4:5
Number of cards: 2 (min); 10 (max)
File Size: 30MB (max for images); 4GB (max for videos)
Resolution: At least 1,080 x 1,080 px
Aspect Ratio: 1:1 to 1.9:1
For Facebook Feed
- File Size: 1MB (min); 4GB (max)
- Dimensions: 120×120 pixels (min)
- Aspect Ratio: 1:1 (for desktop or mobile) or 4:5 (for mobile only)
- Video Duration: 1 second to 241 Minutes
For Instagram Feed
- File Size: 250MB (max)
- Dimensions: 500 pixels
- Aspect Ratio: 4:5
- Video Duration: 1 second to 60 minutes
Tiger Pistol’s platform automatically adjusts the image ratio for the desired format or placement.
When using text overlays in your ad, Meta and Tiger Pistol recommend using 20% or less* of the image’s space for the overlay. Ads with 20% or less text overlay perform better. However, if you do choose to use a text overlay, consider the font size, font style, character count, and purpose of the text overlay. This will ensure your text overlay is impactful.
*This is no longer required or enforced by Meta, yet best practices recommend that marketers stick to the 20% rule = 20% text-to-image ratio. This is relevant for single images and carousel images.*
- Text-based logos are not an exception to the 20% rule. You should count your logo when deciding how much text to include in your image.
Tiger Pistol’s dynamic text overlay tool enables you to visually localize your social ads to a single location with dynamic images and/or text overlays.
How to Leverage Media Effectively
Media should be used to support the ad’s objective and copy. To leverage media effectively, we recommend the following:
- Use media that is relevant to what’s being advertised
- Use media that supports the key selling point detailed in the ad copy
- Follow general best practices for images and videos
Learn about Tiger Pistol's Dynamic Video Capability.
Media Practices to Avoid
Media, like copy, can cause error flags. Avoid these 4 things to ensure your ad doesn’t error out or underperform.
- Images should not include call to action or play buttons that do not work, mouse cursors, or other interactive elements.
- QR codes are also not allowed.
- Images should not be used to evoke shock from the user.
- Do not use personal distress, injury, violence, or gore to promote a product or service.
- Do not use images that promote unrealistic results or promote certain ideals.
- Be mindful of how products are positioned and how they will be received by the user.
Closeups & Sexualizations
- Images should reflect the product or service without over-sexualized models or close-ups on body parts.
- Models should be clothed, and photos staged so that their whole face or head is visible.